Portrait of a Parish - Page 18

Tucking Mill

The name of this hamlet is obviously taken from a process in the woollen industry known as "tucking" or "fulling", in which woven cloth was hammered and felted with water-driven "stocks". The wool was cleaned with a natural detergent clay called Fullers Earth, which was found locally. Although the mill building was demolished in 1931, the Fullers Earth clay works was rebuilt as a processing works for this material, which after refining, was packed into sacks for export by rail from Midford Station. The Bath firm which owned these works, The Fuller's Earth Union, closed it down shortly after the second world war and the 80 foot chimney was demolished along with the rest of the buildings.

Past
Fullers Earth Works - now demolished
Fullers Earth Works - now demolished
 

The demolition of all the old buildings enabled the millpond to be enlarged into a storage lake or reservoir, which in the Year of the Disabled in 1981, moved Wessex Water to develop the site as a lake for use by disabled anglers and to encourage wildlife. Wessex Water has now set up their regional headquarters at the top of Brassknocker Hill.

Present
Fishing lake for use by the disabled
Tucking Mill Lake - fishing for the disabled

top of page


2014 Contact Webmaster