a Parish - Page 15
Situated at the top of Mill Lane, the inn was built around
1750 and had various uses, receiving its licence in 1871. Part
of its premises was a wheelwrights workshop until 1936. It is
now the Wheelwrights Arms which, as well as playing a part in
the social life locally, also accommodates tourists with
visitors coming from all over the world to stay there. At
lunchtimes local customers come from the nearby offices and in
the evenings, masters from the school welcome an escape to its
more relaxed surroundings. Apart from the innkeepers it has
another resident called Albert, a poltergeist who frequently
causes unexplained disturbances on the premises.
At the time of writing, planning permission is being sought
for change of use of the pub to residential accommodation.
Since the book was written, planning permission was refused
following a campaign by the villagers. The owners have now
decided to carry on running it as a pub, much to the delight of
the villagers who are exceedingly grateful to the owners for
The owner have now sold the Wheelwrights but it
remains a public house with accommodation. It is now more a
eating place than a pub - excellent foot - and as such some of
the locals who used to meet up there for a pint and a chat go to
pubs in Combe Down which cater more for the pub side.