Village School - Page 11
In 1900 there were two educational establishments in the
parish. The Village National School had been opened in 1865 to
cater for 72 boys and girls, between the ages of 5 - 11 years.
initially situation in Mill Lane, it later moved to the building
which is now part of Monkton Combe School, opposite its main
From 1921, children wishing to continue schooling after 11
years, travelled to Combe Down to attend the school there, which
until then was known by its full title of "Monkton Combe Church
of England School". Apart from private schools, this was the
only secondary education available until the opening of Ralph
Allen Secondary Modern School in 1957. The village school closed
in 1961 due to falling numbers.