Portrait of a Parish - Page 10

Ralph Allen School

Situated by Combe Grove Manor on the ridge of the valley, overlooking the village and having outstanding views which extend as far as Salisbury Plain, the school was built in 1957 initially catering for 500 pupils from 11 - 16 years of age. It was named after Ralph Allen an eighteenth century Combe Down mine and quarry owner who contributed much to the building of Georgian Bath. In 2000, the school had 1,100 pupils, 165 of them in the sixth form, but needless to say buildings and facilities have not kept pace and overcrowding is a problem. Pupils come from all over Bath, not just from the Parish.

It is currently the only non-denomination, co-educational comprehensive school in Bath and is under the auspices of Bath & North East Somerset unitary authority and its Governors, who are drawn from the local education authority, parents, the community, teaching and support staff. In setting great store in pupils fulfilling their true potential in all aspects of their academic and social lives, links have been made with the local business community and Ralph Allen School runs an annual science fair which is visited by representative from local business and industry.
In the academic year 1998/99, examination results were well above the national average and this year excellent productions in the visual and performing arts were enjoyed both within and outside the school. Amongst its many sporting achievements its under-19 Gymnastics Team are current national champions. The school values it sever growing links with its close neighbour, Bath University and with several international contacts, especially with South Africa.

top of page


2014 Contact Webmaster